Stages of Hajj
SPENDING THE NIGHT IN MINA
After having completed the salat of tawaf, the pilgrim now proceeds to the twelfth of the obligatory rituals of hajj known as mabit in Mina in the eves of 11th and 12th Dhil Hijja. “Mabit” means spending the night at a place. If the pilgrim goes to Mecca on the day of ‘Idd (i.e., 10th of Dhil Hijja), then it is mandatory for him to return to Mina to spend the night with the sincere intention by saying, for example: “I am spending the night in Mina for fulfillment of hajj at-tamattu‘ to seek pleasure of Almighty Allah.” There is no need to do the niyyat in verbal form.
RULES OF MABIT IN MINA
1. After having spent the eve of 12th Dhul Hijja in Mina, the pilgrim is allowed to depart from there on the next day after the zuhr time before the night fall starts.
However, those who violated the rules by hunting or having conjugal relations while in the state of ihram, they are required on basis of precaution to spend one more night –eve of 13th Dhul Hijja– in Mina till the fajr of next day. They are also required, then, to do the stoning on the 13th of Dhul Hijja.
2. If the pilgrim stays in Mina on the 12th Dhul Hijja until the night fall, then he is also required to spend the eve of 13th in Mina till the next fajr time. He is also, then, required to the stoning on the 13th of Dhul Hijja.
3. In the mabit for the eves of 11th and 12th of Dhul Hijja, it is not necessary that the pilgrim should spend the whole night in Mina. He has the choice of staying either from the night fall to the mid-night or from mid-night to the fajr.
4. The following individuals are exempted from the mabit at Mina:
5. A pilgrim who neglects mubit in Mina for whatever reason –by compulsion or forgetfulness or ignorance– he should pay a penalty by sacrificing a sheep for each night. This is based on mandatory precaution.
6. There is no penalty on a pilgrim who left Mecca for Mina but could not reach Mina because of the crowd provided he did not knowingly delay his department from Mecca.
7. A pilgrim chooses to spend the second half of night in Mecca engaged in worship instead of mubit in Mina but then he is overcome by slumber and sleeps for a while. Based on precaution, such a pilgrim has to pay a penalty.
COMMON MISTAKES IN MABIT IN MINA
1. On morning of the 12th of Dhul Hijja, a pilgrim does the stoning of the three pillars and then intends to go to Mecca and return back to Mina by mid-day so that he can finally depart from Mina in the afternoon with other pilgrims. Such a pilgrim should not make the mistake of taking all his possessions with himself since it is not permissible, based on precaution, to finally depart from Mina in the morning except if he leaves something from his belongings back in Mina to which he will return back.
2. On morning of the 12th of Dhul Hijja, a pilgrim does the stoning of the three pillars and then intends to go to Mecca for some work and return back to Mina by mid-day so that he can finally depart from Mina in the afternoon with other pilgrims. Such a pilgrim should realize that it is not obligatory upon him to return before midday since he is allowed to return even in the afternoon. The main thing worth considering is that he cannot finally depart from Mina before the midday; so he may return in the afternoon to Mina in order to finally depart from Mina before sunset of the same day or on the 13th of Dhul Hijja.
3. A pilgrim intends to spend the first half of the night in Mina but he is delayed from reaching Mina at sunset let us say by a few minutes. He assumes that this little delay in reaching Mina does not harm his requirement for mabit. This is a wrong assumption. He is now required to stay for the entire second half of the night in order to fulfillment the mabit at Mina.
4. Sometimes the pilgrims’ tents are erected in areas which are neither inside Mina nor in Wadi Muhassar; they are erected in Wadi an-Nar. Pilgrims end up staying there without inquiring about their location whether or not it is within Mina. Some tents are erected on the hills surrounding Mina and the pilgrims stay there thinking that it is part of Mina. Some even stay outside Mina with excuse that the rental charges for tents within Mina are very high.