Stages of Hajj
Page 3 of 3
COMMON MISTAKES WHILE STAYING IN MUZDALIFA
1. Some pilgrims leave ‘Arafat for Muzdalifa and when they reach a place, they inquire about it and are told that this is Muzdalifa and so they stay there. However, the next day, they find out that they were mistaken and that they were not in Muzdalifa. What happens to them?
If they are able to fulfill the requirement of staying Muzdalifa even if by staying there for a little while between the sunrise and the mid-day time of the day of ‘Idd, then their hajj is valid. But if they are not able to do even that much, then their hajj become invalid and changes into ‘umrah mufradah. In order to avoid such a serious mistake, the pilgrim must ensure that they are in Muzdalifa.
2. Some pilgrims leave Muzdalifa before the dawn break. This is obviously incorrect. Although his hajj will not become invalid, but if he does not return back to Muzdalifa, then he has to pay a penalty by sacrificing a sheep in Mina – unless, of course, he was ignorant of the ruling of staying till sunrise.
3. If the pilgrim leaves Muzdalifa before the sunrise, that is also incorrect. Of course, in this case, there is no penalty on him.
4. The present signs for limits of Muzdalifa are valid if they are based on ancient indications and have passed on from one generation to another. However, if there is doubt in validity of these signposts, then they cannot be relied upon; rather, the pilgrim has to ensure the limits of Muzdalifa by other means.
5. Some pilgrims think that it is obligatory to go from ‘Arafat to Muzdalifa directly. This is not correct; rather, one is allowed to leave ‘Arafat and go to another place like Mecca, rest there for a while and then return to Muzdalifa before the dawn break so that he can remain there till the sunrise.
6. The roads from ‘Arafat to Muzdalifa are extremely crowded with buses and cars; and sometimes the vehicles enter the boundary of Muzdalifa but the pilgrims are not allowed to get down until they reach to their site. Some pilgrims think that they cannot do the niyyat of staying in Muzdalifa except after getting down from the car or the bus. This is a wrong notion; they are allowed to do the niyyat even while the vehicle is on motion as long as they are inside the boundary of Muzdalifa