Stages of Hajj
HALQ OR TAQSIR
After stoning the ‘Uqbah Pillar and the sacrifice, the pilgrim moves on to the sixth of the obligatory rituals of hajj, and that is the shaving (halq) or cutting of the hair (taqsir).
The pilgrim is allowed to do halq or taqsir before the sacrifice once he has the sacrificial animal in his possession at the slaughter-house. Similarly, it is acceptable if he does the halq or the taqsir before the stoning or the sacrifice out of ignorance or forgetfulness. In either case, the restrictions of ihram will not be lifted until after doing the sacrifice.
RULES OF HALQ OR TAQSIR
2. Women are not allowed to do halq; there should only do taqsir.
3. A male pilgrim has the choice between halq and taqsir if it is not his first hajj even though halq is better for him. But the one who is doing the hajj for the first time is required, based on obligatory precaution, to do halq.
4. A pilgrim who knows that the barber doing halq will hurt his head by a razor is not allowed to use razor, he should instead used a soft shaving machine.
5. Halq or taqsir must be done in Mina.
6. It is not necessary that the halq or taqsir be done during daytime; it can even be done on the eve of 11th Dhul Hijja.
7. As soon as the pilgrim does the halq or taqsir, all the prohibitions imposed on him by ihram are lifted except perfume and sexual relations as well as hunting. (The latter is based on obligatory precaution.)
8. Doing halq or taqsir before sacrifice is allowed if the sacrificial animals have already been bought and prepared in the slaughtering house (like Wadi Muhassar), and provided specific animals have been assigned to their relevant owners/pilgrims.
Consequently, doing tawaf of hajj, its salat, and sa‘i after the halq or taqsir should be permissible even though the sacrifice has not yet been done. However, the prohibitions of the ihram (with the exception of perfume and women) will be lifted only after doing the sacrifice.
COMMON MISTAKES IN DOING HALQ OR TAQSIR
2. Sometimes a pilgrim does the halq or taqsir outside the boundaries of Mina out of ignorance or forgetfulness and does not realize his mistake unless returning back to his hometown. In this case, if it is possible for him to send his hair to be placed in Mina, then he should do that; if that is not possible, then there is nothing on him.